[PHOTO] Pat's 'Indian Chief' | Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:05:08" />

[PHOTO] Pat's 'Indian Chief'

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Pat's 'Indian Chief'
  • From: Pat Mitchell corgilover@wi.rr.com
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:04:08 -0500

David Ferguson wrote:
> I would also vote for 'Indian Chief' yours Pat, but only
> tentatively.  It looks like the flower might be slightly deformed
> (perhaps the plant is a bit stressed, or not fully settled in????).
> Perhaps the ID will be more certain after next year's bloom?

I did a lot of comparing and my final guess is "Indian Chief" as well.
  The thing that finally flipped me over to it (from Dauntless)  was
the fine veining on the crests of the falls.  That only seems present
in Indian Chief and my NOID.  The late mention of Indian Chief as an
early bloomer threw me for a bit - He was my second-last-man-standing!!!

All of the Iris I grow were stressed in some way or another this year.
  We had a very cold, dry, windy winter, (very little snow) and then
we had several days of frost at the end of May.  After a fairly wet
spring it dried out too much, and warmed up rapidly.  The frost really
did a number on those buds already set.

Then to add insult to injury, those #!>^%$ goldfinches decided that
Iris buds were good salad fodder and took to shredding them before
they opened . . . <sigh>

To be legal, I'm including a shot of my last-man-standing "Wild Thing"
whose bud grew straight DOWN and opened that way - talk about stress!
--
Pat Mitchell
corgilover@wi.rr.com