RE: So many choices

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] So many choices
  • From: "Harold Peters" <harold@directcon.net>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:13:13 -0700

If someone answered, it was off line. Every reasonable question deserves an answer so I will go where angels fear to tread. Maybe it will launch a worthwhile threat. The real answer has to be based on your definition of "smart". If "smart" is determined by you, then the answer is to acquire most of your irises based on seeing the iris grown in your area and/or climate zone. Base your acquire decision based 50% on an evaluation of the plant and 50% on the bloom. Acquire many via trades. Buy many of your plant purchases from local specialty iris nurseries after you have visited that nursery at least twice. This definition of "smart" is based on minimizing regretting having acquired certain cultivars.

If "smart" is based on what others think about your collection, then concentrate on acquiring regional favorites, AIS 100 favorites, and newer introductions of nationally recognized hybridizers and the up-and-coming local hybridizers. A variation of this method would be to concentrate on acquiring recent Award of Merit winners. Within this strategy, you can still have portions of your iris collection devoted to specialized criteria like historics, rebloomers, space agers, etc.

There is another method and that is to buy great bargains accepting that there will be a heavy turnover. Buying from the sale of AIS regional and national convention guest irises can be a great way to get bargains. This usually means attending the sale in person or having an agent for you at the sale.

Hope this helps.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road