Ottawa EC

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Ottawa EC
  • From: Sandy Ives <rives@rogers.com>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 17:41:34 -0400

Here's the seedling that got an EC at the district show yesterday
(Ottawa River Iris Society & Ottawa Valley Rock Garden Society etc).

Ruby Eruption X Kuza Nama

It's an aril-med (-).  Two buds on the maiden stalk.  (Regardless of the
percentages, it has the necessary characteristics... and Bob Keup
agrees, so contact me privately to vent.  Not that it is going to be
introduced tomorrow.)

Ah, those are my dad's hand.  I have worse nails.  The seedling patch is
about 300 miles (500kM) to the west in a z4 area, drove there Friday
night, cut about 20 seedlings early Saturday morning, and drove back
immediately afterwards.  I suspect I'll never win another EC.

I have no idea why I made the cross anymore; likely the pollen was there
and 'Ruby Eruption' was the closest bloom that matched the colour.  Four
seeds, one germinated and the reverse cross didn't take.  It's SDB size.

I had about ten 'Ruby Eruption' x 'Fancy Woman' IBs as well.  Of the
thirty plus seedlings from that cross, three are yellow selfs!  The
range of colours and patterns was quite interesting.  I'll try to send
images from the garden next week.

The second image is from the show.  Marilyn Light (orchid people know
her) is in the foreground and Ian Efford is over her left shoulder.  Ian
brought at least 100 spikes from his species beds as an educational
display... and not one for the show bench!  Two were pure arils from a
seed exchange, either of which could have won the EC; Ian doesn't
believe in 'competition'.

Bob Keup stepped away from the honours table long enough for us to award
him with 'Best Specimen' (I. laevegata monstrosa).  The only image I
have isn't worth sending.

Regards,

Sandy Ives in Ottawa (and really super tired of shows, especially when
his variagated foliage seedlings are a week away from maiden bloom)