Re: HYB: umbrata (longer)

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: umbrata (longer)
  • From: "Neil Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:47:24 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, Robt R Pries <rpries@s...> wrote:
"Paul Cook and Bee Warburton wrote several lengthy articles on the
origination of the dominant Amoena genes in 'Progenitor' in the Old
AIS Bulletins. The reichenbachia used was most likely not like this
yellow plant for which there is still some question about its
authenticity but more like the Red Purple form that I hope I can
attach."

In TWOI, Chapter 4, written by Melba Hamblen and Keith Keppel, there
is a section dealing with the Cook 'Progenitor' bicolors.  It does
not mention the color of the "reichenbachii" used, but as I recall,
Cook's intention in making the cross of a blue TB onto what he had
received from Rex Pearce as seeds of *Iris mellita* but which Cook
believed to be misidentified and referred to as *reichenbachii* was
to incorporate flavones into blue iris breeding lines to get a truer
blue.  My rather vague memory of a Cook article in the *Bulletin*
around 1959 or 1960 may have mentioned the cv as being yellow.

The section of TWOI to which I refer begins on p. 113.  On p. 115
there is an interesting comment worth noting: "It is possible that
the inhibitor from the Balkan species would have eventually found its
way into the gene pools of tall bearded irises, as it has in the
balkana hybrids of Greenlee and Ghio, with a less dramatic impact
than that of the Whole Cloth lines.  It is also possible that the
flavones Cook was seeking are implicated in his irises...."

I believe I also recall speculation that the seeds from Pearce were
of hybrid origin with *Iris mellita* (now known as *suaveolens*) as
the pod parent (thus accounting for Pearce's identification of the
seeds he sent Cook as such) with pollen from a clone of
*reichenbachii.*  The clone of the latter may have been yellow, as
may also have been the clone used by Cook in the cross
yielding 'Progenitor.'  It should be noted that the latter has a
certain amount of yellow pigment.  The color of the flower is
anything but attractive, even appearing somewhat dull.  Only the
genius of Paul Cook would have recognized the potential, perhaps.

*Iris mellita* (*suaveolens*) also appears in a registration of the
cv 'Melamoena,' made in 1960 by Jack (John E.) Goett.  The
description reads, "IB, 20"...S white; F light blue, veined. (New
Snow x Chivalry) X Mellita Vande."  (*Iris Check List 1969,* p. 133)

It may be that the I(s) 'Progenitor' factor is scattered through
several of the Balkan dwarfs, considering the three known sources
appearing in the registry.  Bob Pries' comment that the factor may
not affect the violet pigment(s) present in the *reichenbachii* of
which he posted the photo reminds one of a similar comment made by
various people about the same being true for the purple or violet
pigment(s) of some *aphylla* clones.

Neil Mogensen   z  7  western NC mountains