Re: compression strategy

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] compression strategy
  • From: Cathy <kittencampi@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:10:31 -0700

oneofcultivars@aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 6/27/2004 10:23:30 PM Central Daylight Time, kittencampi@earthlink.net writes:

FWIW: small images were compressed to 38-40 and larger images (1500 x 1000) were compressed to a quality index of 49.

Quality index?
Elaborate please.

JPEG compression formulas don't produce linear results. The scale you see as you save an image to JPG is a quality index scale. The fewer the actual shades of color in the image the smaller the file will be after conversion.  a megabyte file compressed at an index of 50 can vary in size fron 50 to 100kb's depending on the actual number of shades.

For web use 72 dpi and the color palette of 214? "websafe" colors would be standard. There are a number of batch resizing programs that will convert 100's of images to a certain dpi, color palette and compressed file size. I haven't used any of them so don't have any recommendations.

John mentioned Adobe's SaveForWeb function which is the easiest way I know to get web ready photo's for websites and Iris-Photos. I believe it also in Adobe elements II at $29.99.

Michael M.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links