CULT: Red, rose and pink amoenas

  • Subject: [iris-photos] CULT: Red, rose and pink amoenas
  • From: Kent Appleberry appleb@cut.net
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 11:15:28 -0600

I 've been following along here but was unable to respond until this
morning (just signed up and had to wait to be added to the list).

Linda, LEAPS AND BOUNDS is something like the rose amoena I asked about
at first.  It's a sort of smoky rose color (which I like).  That it's
unusual illustrates the point I was curious about.  The point is even
better illustrated with pink than rose and red, because pink, in a
fairly pure shade, is a very common iris color, so you'd think there'd
be a whole raft of pure pink amoenas.  But obviously it's not so easy.
FRAPPE is a sort of pink amoena, but not a pure one.  There aren't many,
despite how common the colors involved, pink and white, are.

Griff, I'm afraid I can't see your photos either.  I tried both Mozilla
and Explorer, both a couple years old.  Since I can download faster from
the web than from my email server (as is true of others with dial-up
connections), it would work better to see the shots in the archive
online, if you're willing to go to the trouble to repost them.  But I'll
be glad to see them either way.  You've gone to a lot of work in posting
these things, and I'm very interested in seeing what you've been doing.

As you say, red is a tricky color for bearded iris.  The thing I'm
curious about is that the red amoenas aren't as red as red selfs are, as
far as I can tell.  As I was just saying above, the point is better
shown with pink, which is a good iris color, but doesn't show up so well
in amoenas.  There seems to be a problem getting reds, roses and pinks
to show up in amoenas the way they do in selfs.

Linda and Neil gave me some insight into some of the difficulties
involved on the iris-talk list, in terms of the complexity of the
colors.  I'm not clear yet on why it's harder with an amoena than with a
self.  You get the impression from just looking at iris that the colors
of the standards and falls can be entirely independent of each other,
but the difficulty of getting red, rose and pink amoenas suggests
there's more of a connection than I'm aware of.

Betty (I keep wanting to call you Autumn because of your email address),
I really like your seedling.  Those are great colors--you can see the
complexity of the color on the falls.

Thanks to all for the info, ideas and photos on this.

Yahoo! Groups Links