Re: Macedonia & Keeping Records & Lumpers & Splitters..

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Macedonia & Keeping Records & Lumpers & Splitters..
  • From: "jjbhphd" JBHPHD@BELLSOUTH.NET
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:48:29 -0400

Friends,

Macedonia was the southernmost province of the country formerly known as
Yugoslavia, before it morphed and shrank to Serbia. Macedonia declared
itself an independent country with that name, but this did not please Greece
at all for its northernmost region is also called Macedonia. It is where
Alexander the Great grew up, and the Greeks have always considered them,
well, literally marginal, but not so marginal as ot want to lose them.

Doesn't say much about the flower does it?

Looks like there are no fool proof ways to keep track of our children. I use
maps too, but some die and others are vigorous thus taking more space.than
anticipated and overflowing the intended boundary. My greatest vulnerability
is keeping track of the seedlings once I have transplanted them into
individual containers, but before I have put them in the borders.  My labels
fade and my colorcoded paperclips work on the individual pots ( I use one
gallon cans recycled from the kitchen of a local nursing home which ought to
be using more fresh vegatables.) but sometimes get lost when I post them in
the ground beside the plants.

Re: lumpers and splitters. What is a species and what is a variety? This is
a rhetorical question  But when we are talking about species, I vote for the
lumpers, for unless there is a difference in the chromosomal count, which I
cannot do, I am inclined to think we are dealing with one species.. In all
the biological phenomenon I can think of (except gender difference which
does not apply to iris since they are all hermaphroditic), it seems that the
variance within most species is greater than the variance between the ideal
type or the modal form of  two similar species.

I do still want to learn to differentiate between versicolor and virginica
and have no cofidence that I have been able to do that among my plants this
year.

I am also speculatively considering that the seed exchange as valuable as it
is, may be contributing to some degree of genetic drift among potentially
interfertile species, and how could it not with our busy little helper bees?

James Harrison
Asheville, Z 7