RE: Re: CULT: Pod setting Kupari x Rosmarys Dream

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] RE: Re: CULT: Pod setting Kupari x Rosmarys Dream
  • From: thomas silvers tesilvers@yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 05:36:15 -0700 (PDT)

Char, Neil, and Dave,
I guess I was kind of ambiguous about what that
picture was. The plant you're seeing is a seedling
with the parentage 'Kupari' x 'Rosemarys Dream'.
'Kupari' is a white form of Iris pallida; 'Rosemarys
Dream' is a (rose pink on white)plicata MTB. So the
parents and this seedling should be diploid beardeds.
I don't have a picture of 'Kupari' but just imagine an
all white pallida (with light yellow beard). I've got
a picture of Rosemary's Dream which I'll attach below.
I'd pulled the one standard off, to show the dark
orange beards and orange-tinted style arms. Originally
I'd done the cross, with the goal of eventually
getting lycopene pink expression at the diploid level.
However, there are five of these seedlings that I
selected out especially for the relatively intense PBF
[purple based foliage] that you noticed. I've never
noticed any PBF on 'Kupari' but 'Rosemarys Dream' has
noticeable PBF. It seems that 'Kupari' has contributed
a tendency to intensified pigmentation in the PBF
offspring. The pods on the seedling are all from
pollen of another 'Kupari' hybrid -- amoena seedling
of 'Kupari' X suaveolens var. rubromarginata. I
figured this would be an interesting match, since I
could get glaciatas or amoena/plicatas; and/or combine
genes from rubromarginata with the intense PBF. By the
way, all of the Kupari X RD seedlings have the best
sweet pallida scent.

Here are links to two images of 'Rosemarys Dream':

http://www.medianiris.com/images/Awards/Awards%20MTB/Rosemary's%20Dream.jpg

http://www.region18.com/images/gardens/regional%20gardens/spring%202003/Rohr/Rosemary's%20Dream%20-%20Rohr.jpg

Also, I'll attach pictures of:
1) 'Rosemarys Dream'
2) 'Kupari' X 'Rosemarys Dream', the nice PBF plicata
pod-setter seedling
3) 'Kupari' X suaveolens var. rubromarginata, the
dominant amoena, pollen donor that set all those pods

I can hardly wait to see what I get.
Later, Tom