Re: TB: Kendal's grandpa's iris

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB: Kendal's grandpa's iris
  • From: Kent Appleberry appleb@cut.net
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:07:34 -0600

Kendal, when I spoke of the look-alikes for your grandfather's two more
modern irises, I was relying on the photos, in which the lighter iris
looked like, say, DEBBY RAIRDON (Kuntz 1964):

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/18544/

I picked a somewhat washed out photo, matching the color in yours more
closely, but actually the color is more yellow, as you can see in the
other photo you can access from the same page. There are quite a few
popular irises that look similar to DEBBY RAIRDON, with various shades
of yellow and variations on the pattern.

Then I remembered that your iris is a shade of orange, not yellow.
Reviewing the description you gave, the lighter orange one does sound a
little unusual. But I'm having some trouble matching the verbal
description with the photos of that one. The standards, at least their
outer parts, look to me in the photos to be closer to the color of the
orange rim than the pale center of the falls. That would be a common
pattern in irises, one that occurs in several colors. Often the inner
part of the falls with that pattern is white or near white, which is how
it looks in the photos. You could compare HALO IN PEACH (Niswonger 1998):

http://www.zyworld.com/ciop/TB/TBHaloInPeach03k.jpg

Offhand, I don't know of a cultivar that matches your verbal description
completely, though I'd be surprised if there wasn't one or more that
comes close. I have seen some that look similar to what the photo
conveys to me, in pretty much every color, including orange and pink and
in between. Probably at least a few are close to yours in color, but I
can't tell from the photos. That in itself shouldn't deter you from
seeking to introduce it. It may be better than the others. From what I
can tell from the photos I've been going through lately, there are
irises introduced every year that look a great deal like ones that have
been introduced in previous years, and sometimes they turn out to be
more popular than their predecessors because they have better habits or
the like, or for who knows what other reasons. Yours seem to be hardy
and rot resistant, which is a big plus.

The light pinkish violet one is easier to match to your description.
There are plenty of iris cultivars in that color range, and I assume
there were plenty 30 years ago, when many would have have a similar form
to yours. Unfortunately I haven't kept track of those older ones very
well, so offhand I don't know of a good example to suggest you compare
with. It's a beauty, in any case.

Keep in mind that I'm just a novice. The best way to get really good
feedback on your irises, I'd think, would be to take them to an iris
show. I know they have one in SLC when the irises are in bloom. I
believe there are categories for unregistered irises.

Good luck with this.

Kent

Yahoo! Groups Links