RE: HYB: TB: seedling (Oretta's Shadow x Romantic Evening) #2

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] HYB: TB: seedling (Oretta's Shadow x Romantic Evening) #2
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 17:14:23 -0700

This seedling has pretty colors. I like the burgandy falls.

Someone either on Iris-Photos or Iris Talk, probably about a year ago, made a very wise comment that has stuck with me. I wish his name had stuck with me too, but names never do. If you recognize the orginator of this, please post it for all of us. He said, “Your seedlings are not competing against those of any other hybridizer. They are competing against their own parents. Unless they are superior to their parents, keep them to improve them if you like, but don’t even think of introducing them.”

I try to use this rule in making my own selections, and I recommend it. Study your seedlings and study their parents. If the seedling is not an improvement over the parents, the world doesn’t need it.

Francelle Edwards Glendale, AZ Zone 9