{Disarmed} Re: Seedlings

  • Subject: {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] Seedlings
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 23:40:09 EDT

In a message dated 6/11/2006 8:20:30 PM Central Daylight Time, iris4u2@comcast.net writes:

Thank you Bill, and I am Smiling with the nice comments.  Tasco's Solor Fire, which is about the same color combination as my 23EQ line comes from a cross by Thornbird X Golden Panther.  It seems G.P. being a yellow brown may be a door to pursue.  It has that same smooth texture with the ox blood pigmentation on the Falls.  As far as marketability, it will be a few years since this was their maiden bloom.  We will see what we can do with the lot as far as intensifying the color.  Any suggestions?

The one difference between between your seedlings and Tasco's Solar Fire is wider falls. Here seedlings from Thornbird have never produced wide falls (read maketability) but I've not attempted that same cross. Solar Fire is domociled here and  produces an attractive bloom for me but the Thornbird influence is obvious.

Suggestion? If I knew how to get there I would do it myself and brag a lot. I don't. Sadly I know of  few if any yellows inclined to throw red tints with perhaps one exception. I did have one seedling from Lemon Chess x Change Your Ways yield a coral pink tinted seedling. Interestingly, I could find only one pink in the in the background of the two parents.

As a point in passin', if it makes no difference with which yellow one might start (unlikely), Lemon Chess has excellent increase and likely carries rebloom capacity though I'm not aware of LC itself reblooming. Many of Walter Moores introductions carry such capacity.

As another point in passin' Walter has an umbrata seedling 00-11-A in the red family that is being trialed here. Excellent stalk, excellent bud count, excellent branching, excellent increase, excellent bloom form. I can not immediatly recall the seedlins' parents but Walter freely answers questions.

Bill Burleson

__._,_.___ Web Bug from http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97476590&grpId=43451&grpspId=1602632694&msgId=33463&stime=1150083689