{Disarmed} Re: Re: Portland #10 - Halo

  • Subject: [PHOTO] {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] Re: Portland #10 - Halo
  • From: Jan Lauritzen janicelauritzen@yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:13:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Linda,
I am sure that you are correct.  As I read the R&I description it does not match that photo at all.  It happens, even at Nationals.
I am sending a picture of a Pat Otterness iris which was mislabeled in some of the gardens.  I was walking with Pat and she pointed it out to me.  I had taken pictures of the iris but had the label incorrect due to the labeling error. The opposite iris, there were two which had been reversed, I did not even take a picture of because it did not impress me the same way the other had.
I could not understand why people kept talking about this WONDERFUL Desert Umber when I thought that Motley Fool was far more exciting.  When Pat pointed out the incorrect labeling I understood.  I had the wrong name for the iris I had been impressed by in the other garden.
One iris was Desert Umber (Otterness,P TB  2003) - 37" ML
S. white, shaded pale yellow on midrib; F. white, variably overlaid greyed brown to greyed yellow starting at shoulder and extending down part way, center with faint purple cast; beards white with hairs tipped gold at end, to bright gold in throat; lightly ruffled and laced, pronounced sweet fragrance. Moon Journey x Amethyst Dancer
The other was Motley Fool (Otterness,P TB  2002) - 38" M
S. medium bishops violet; F. deeper, medium bishops violet toward edge, shoulders undertoned ruby to tyrian purple, white haft veining, bluer bishops violet centerline; beards aureolin yellow, white at end; lightly ruffled, laced.  Silverado x Amethyst Dancer
Here are pictures of Desert Umber.  You can even see the incorrect label in the clump.
Jan in Chatsworth

Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com> wrote:
R&I for HALO IN NUTMEG says old rose standards, blue blaze on falls,
not yellow as in the Portland display bed. Mixup of some sort.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Do You Yahoo!?
http://mail.yahoo.com __._,_.___ Web Bug from http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97476590&grpId=43451&grpspId=1602632694&msgId=33682&stime=1151003607