Re: chicken snake

  • Subject: Re: chicken snake
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 22:00:39 -0000

Debi,

> I have never heard of a chicken snake? Are they like a garder
snake
> only bigger?

You've probably never heard of one because the name is likely similar
to the common name given plants as opposed to the scientific name.
Sort of like 'dayflower' for the trascantia - or 'flag' for an iris.
I found the 'dayflower' using a net search on the common name Bob
Pries provided, but the plants aren't called by that name
here. 'Chicken snake' is certainly going to be such a name. There
are at least two obviously different snakes around here that are both
called chicken snakes. Both are large, basically black with yellow
markings but otherwise obviously different. Unfortunately, it's the
only name I know as it's all I've ever heard them called. These are
non-poisonous, beneficial snakes. It's true they'll eat eggs and
baby chickens (I've seen those - once saw one attempting a goose egg
and had half the egg down and its tissue was totally translucent as a
result of the stretch), but mice are probably the mainstay of their
diet. They probably do raid bird nests (they are incredible tree
climbers), but I think it's likely they eat crickets and similar bugs
also, along with frogs (which I've also seen). Compared to most
snakes, these have a lot of personality. They are extremely
curious. The result is they can end up under your feet after you've
been there a while. A trait I'm very thankful the poisonous
varieties don't share. Other than scaring me occasionally, he may be
a good visitor in the iris otherwise. Provided he isn't eating the
lizards. Hmmmm.

Donald

__._,_.___
Recent Activity