Re: Seed viability

In a message dated 6/8/2007 11:36:43 A.M. Central Daylight Time, jrohrer31@Bellsouth.net writes:
<<I have had several pods  where the stalks  have dried  thus leaving the pods under-developed ..  question : How many weeks of development  would  be necessary  for  viability ? and how would you  try to develop the seeds to fruition ? >>

Jim the "under-developed" part worries me.  I've grown seedlings where the cross had only been made for a month before the stalk collapsed.  In one case (2004) I planted 100 seed from two pods on such a stalk.  Only 8 germinated, but I felt that was worth the time and effort.  Another collapsed in 2005 and dozens germinated out of 60+ potential.

I cut the rotted portion of the stalk off and then lay the pod on a shelf in my office, with tag connected.  Now, I put the pods in those little lace bags I made and tack them to my message board!  It prevents possible staining of my shelving and still allows good air circulation.  The tag goes in the bag with the pod.

I kept one last year that only had a couple of weeks.  It didn't make it.  It only had two seed and they didn't germinate.

Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Reblooming Iris - Home Page
iris-photos archives
iris-talk archives