Re: COMP spelliing

  • Subject: Re: COMP spelliing
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:39:48 -0700

I'll tell you what, if you want to review all 55000 or so entries in the iris database, I will see to it that all the corrections get put in.

The technical answer to your question is that over the years the standards for character codes and the interpretation of special characters has changed, and we have not had the time to weed them all out of the database. Some of the older character sets don't map properly to the new sets. Also when you transfer data from one system to another, from one program to another, character maps are not always consistent

We do what we can. If you are so dissatisfied with the database, I will be glad to refund your fee.

As to Wind Of Change (sic), corrections are made to the off-line database by the AIS Registrar (the only person authorized to make changes). As you might guess he is pretty busy with upwards of 1000 registrations per year most of them coming between Nov and May and creating and publishing the annual R&I.

When sends me a new release. I update the database. I did get one last week but I have been traveling on business in Sri Lanka and haven't been home to make the update. I will get to it when I can.

Computers have their foibles, and  this is a volunteer driven organization.