Re: Requesting Info

  • Subject: Re: Requesting Info
  • From: "loic tasquier" <tasquierloic@cs.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 07:39:38 +0200

Hello Vicky,

i first pick the pollen when it is absolutely dry. Like a wonderful dry sunny summer day...
If the air is saturated with water, forget it.

Then i leave the stamen in the house to dry out completely, so i don't deep-freeze wet stuff.

Then i place one stamen per little zip plastic bag. (they are the smallest i found, 1" x 2", in a shop that sells all the things for shop-keepers.)

Then i place all the bags with the same pollen in a little paper bag (from the same shop-keeper shop) on which i write the name of the pollen.

Then i place the bags in the deep freezer, by alphabetical order, please, if you want to save time in the spring.

When pollinating, I apply the pollen with a very small painter's spatula, there is no waste: with one TB stamen i usually can pollinate 3 TBs or 6 SDBs, and with a SDB stamen, 1 or 2 TBs, or 3 SDBs.

I think i had very unsuccesful crosses with frozen pollen this year because i deep-froze bad pollen to start with: the humidity is very high here with the condensation coming from the huge river nearby. Some were good, and i think these were picked on the right day, and at the right time!
An other reason is that maybe the deepfreezer drawer stayed opened too long when i was looking for the right bags, that's why i really advise you to put them in alphabetical order!

Hope this help!

Loïc