Re: HYB: striped standard MTB seedling

  • Subject: Re: HYB: striped standard MTB seedling
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 11:14:13 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks guys. I dug it out of the jumble of siblings last year and have it sort of lined out, checking it for growth habit etc. It looks like it'll probably be good enough to be worthy of introduction. I'm also currently trying it as a parent again. Last season it failed to set any pods from 'Clown Pants' pollen (which would have been a backcross). This concerned me, since 'Clown Pants' is usually very fertile for me.
This year I tried it's pollen on Iris variegata Beardsley (back a little further in the ancestry) and those pods are aborting too. But to save me from thinking it's not fertile at all, the 'Astra Girl' pollen on put on this striped standard seedling seems to be working beautifully - all are setting really plump pods. You just never know what to expect from some of these guys as far as incompatibilities go.
Thanks for your interest guys.
Take care, Tom

I like it both years :). Donald Eaves
Color and pattern make it look distinctive enough for introduction if the plant is acceptable otherwise, Tom. Any plans? -- Griff