Re: Please Help on tree ID

  • Subject: Re: Please Help on tree ID
  • From: Jan Lauritzen <janicelauritzen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 09:32:40 -0700 (PDT)

Chad, You might be correct.  I know we had Catalina Cherry trees when I was a kid but really don't remember what they looked like.   Your mention of it rang a bell.  I looked in Wiki and the picture and description are good - up to 15 feet tall, fruit is actually edible ( I know we were told not to eat them as kids.  That they were only edible by the birds.), the leaf has sharp points like holly, and that it is actually native to the chaparral areas.  As Catalina is only about 60 miles away (land and sea total) and we are in the foothill chaparral area on the north edge of Los Angeles, Catalina Cherry is a very good match.  I will take the branch to a nursery and see if I can find a tree to compare it to.  It will also be interesting to see if the fruit begins to turn red.

Thank you so much.  I knew that someone in this group should be able to point the right direction.

Jan in Chatsworth