PHOTO: TB: good ol' reliable DOLCE and an AB seedling from it

  • Subject: PHOTO: TB: good ol' reliable DOLCE and an AB seedling from it
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 17:09:03 EDT

Hello all,

    I find Paul Black's work with small-flowered TBs to be most interesting.  I suppose most TB growers prefer the larger-flowered TBs.  However, for those of us who are backyard gardeners and don't have a lot of space, these smaller-flowered TBs allow us to tuck these plants into little nooks and crannies or to put them in the front of rows where they can show off.  Another reason I like his small-flowered TBs is because of their I. aphylla parentage, which makes them hardier for colder-winter zones.  Below is a photo of Paul's DOLCE which, even in a cloudy-day photo shows up well.  And below that is a photo of a 1/4 arilbred seedling of mine from King Solomon's Mines X Dolce.  It surprised me that Dolce would allow a good signal to appear in a seedling, but I used Dolce as the pollen parent in hopes that the pod parent AB would be dominant and allow a signal to come through.  That worked.

Elm

DOLCE:

King Solomon's Mines X Dolce seedling: