HYB: and CULT: frost damage (re: Little Help)

  • Subject: HYB: and CULT: frost damage (re: Little Help)
  • From: Cordesview <cordesview@m33access.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 09:58:23 -0400

Greetings from Michigan, everyone!

Here is a seedling of mine, and since Bob mentioned he needed a little help on frost damage, I'll catch 2 birds with one stone, here, since this iris is both!

On the first photo, the falls should be a smooth color, but instead have blotches in the petal. I call this FROST DAMAGE, since it messes with the actual texture of the iris bloom. Those blotchy marks ARE indeed raised bumps or lowered divots in the petal, and many of my seedlings in the garden have these. (I take photos of them anyway so I can tell if they are resistant to late freezes, since not all of my seedlings look this way.) Any more extreme damage from a late frost, and I'll have no form to the blooms, or worse yet, no bloom at all. The 3rd photo down there is an SDB seedling from 2007 that is a perfect example of what I call "no form". You can still see puckers and divots from the frost damage, too.

In photo number 2, I made a closeup of my seedlings standards. They are laced, so don't discredit that, but rather in the centers, right along the midribs, you can see more bumps indicating frost damage.

Blotching, on the other hand, is a bred-in trait, and Bob, I think your iris seedlings are either displaying that now, or my have a virus like Margie's did.

Iris with natural blotching that I know of are, AZ-AP (Judges at our show continuously tell me they're virus stricken, but for 10 years my AZ AP has blotching in it, more prominent in artificial light) OCEAN DEPTHS, FARAWAY BLUE, and sdb LEOPARD PRINT.

I'll send photos of the afore mentioned iris as well.

By the way, seedling #C22-2 is a maiden bloom from CLASSIC HUES X BATTER UP.

Adam~

JPEG image

C22-2 SA

JPEG image

C22-2 frost damage stds

JPEG image

Adam Cordes
<x-tad-smaller>President - Mio Irisarians</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>www.mioiris.org</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>Region 6</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>Zone 4 (and a half . . .</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>)</x-tad-smaller>