Re: HYB: last few plicatas

  • Subject: Re: HYB: last few plicatas
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:59:46 -0400

My personal preference is the middle one. Stronger colours, and
although flower has just opened I would still expect it to have good
form.

When selecting seedlings I use much different criteria then when
judging or selecting for introduction. The flower is just one part of
equation. From a good seedling crop like you had with this bunch, I
would select about 5-6 seedlings. Each one haveing two or more great
strengths. The strengths I'm selecting for are branching, bud count,
number of flowers in terminal bud, shape, flare, colour flower size,
conformation and ascetics. Of course they all need to have the gentic
factors for colour, which these all do.

I select a number, because one thing you will be doing is sib crosses (
or should be anyway) and there can be sib incompatibility problems. If
you have already checked for fertility, pod and pollen of the
seedlings, then you can discard any that fire blanks or don't have
pollen, before making final selection.

With TT in background there is a possibily of getting a broken colour
some where down the line. But the ones most likely to do this will be
the ones with the pattern in the centre of the falls such as the middle
one in this selection group. That is the Luminat-plicata ones.

The amoena factor can build up in sib crosses and you could end up with
a "Queen's Circle" or "Emma Cook" pattern for anthocyanin along with
plicata stitchin
g at edge. From this line it could be a yellow centre
on falls with a white edge stitched violet. Or better yet, broken
colour at rim.

Food for thought.

Chuck Chapman

HYB: last few plicatas

Posted by: "J. Griffin Crump"
jgcrump@cox.net

jgcrumpe2001

Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:25 pm (PDT)

Here are the last 3 plicatas that I'll be posting at this time.
They are from the same cross as the last group. -- Griff