Re: Re: Iris Nursery Beds
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Re: Iris Nursery Beds
  • From: "El Hutchison" <eleanore@mts.net>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 11:43:19 -0500

Thanks Donald.

We had close to monsoon rains over the weekend, with flooding in many
smaller communities near the US border. I'm surprised at how many of my
taller stems have recovered from being rained on hard and blown about. We
have our CWIS iris show in 2 wks, so I was getting concerned.

My farmer's fields and those all about turned into lakes. I'm lucky my
drainage tilts slightly towards the Seine River, which has very high banks
here. There's still about an inch of water in the grass though, and I have
my garden pants rolled up like farmer John.

Hard to give you a good perspective from here, as I can't take one picture
of the entire garden. There's close to 350 different iris blooming right
now, in various beds about the landscape and 4 nursery beds. It's one of
those odd years, as there's MDB's all the way up to TB's blooming, plus some
species iris and siberians.

Here's another shot of the 3 nursery beds taken on Sunday after all the
rainfall, with me standing with my back to the shed, facing southeast. You
can see the dry river bed on the right side of the picture, heading down
towards the pond, the bog garden, and the shrub border (which somehow only
has 1 shrub in it). The Seine River is just behind those trees. Hopefully
you can't see all the dandelions that suddenly sprang up everywhere.

El, near Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Z3
AIS Region 16