Re: Cult: iris pests
  • Subject: Re: Cult: iris pests
  • From: Betty Ann Gunther <bettyg@cybermesa.com>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 15:42:55 -0600

That's a nice looking rattlesnake there.  Though it would give me a
start, too, I am glad you didn't recommend killing it -- just keeping a
watchful eye.  We need all the predators we can get.
Betty G.

Donald Eaves wrote:
> From my perspective there are worse things in the iris beds than
> grasshoppers and leaf spot, aggravating as they are. I guess this one
> might
> actually be beneficial for the iris depending on whether it eats
> grasshoppers or not, but if I fail to notice it then the consequences
> for me
> would be unpleasant. Been there, done that - with a copperhead. Hopefully
> won't happen with a diamondback rattler. Rattlesnake bites tend to be
> more
> severe than copperhead bites. In any case, he had taken shelter in the
> shade of the big pot in the bed just outside my garage. The larger
> photo is
> the detail out of the smaller photo. It's really amazing how well they
> blend in. This is a sand bed. Those beds with a clay/soil surface
> scattered with some dead oak leaves would make it even more
> indistinguishable to the eye. So here's my annual warning for those where
> these critters may hang out. Keep a watchful eye open. I'll be alert
> for a
> day or two and then it'll wear off a bit.
> Donald Eaves
> donald@eastland.net <mailto:donald%40eastland.net>
> Texas Zone 7b, USA
> signature database 5185 (20100609) __________
> http://www.eset.com

database 5185 (20100609) __________

the control of the moderator of this list. Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)