Introduction and Request
  • Subject: Introduction and Request
  • From: "Linda Hylton" <elh3946@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 07:18:01 -0700

Greetings to all!
After 12 years of fulltime RVing, my husband and I bought a house last month.
Since we now have a place where I can garden, I'm trying to track down some of my Grandmother's iris.  My Grandmother, Melvina Suiter, was an iris hybridizer from the 1950's through the late 1980's.  Some of her irises are Tomeco, Orange Crush, and Apricot Lustre among many others.
Of the 80+ irises she registered, I've only been able to track down 6 for sure:
Ladyslippers, Orange Crush, Sky Hostess, and Tomeco all at commercial gardens.  My brother has Wicked Witch and my mother has Big Mamma.  Both of my aunts have several Suiter iris, but they have been unable to take care of their gardens for a few years and all identifying tags are gone, so I'm not sure exactly what they have...we'll try to identify as many of them as we can next year when they bloom.
So I'm putting a request out: if you have either pictures of any Suiter iris, or happen to have one in your garden, I'd be interested in hearing from you.  I can be contacted at elh3946 AT gmail DOT com.