Re: RE: Sibs
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: RE: Sibs
  • From: Betty Ann Gunther <bettyg@cybermesa.com>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 20:15:14 -0600

Contrary to popular opinion, some LA iris will tolerate freezing, in fact quite a bit of it. Not sure about all of them, but they do want acid soil, lots of humus, and moisture. One woman I have corresponded with reported that she has had them grow and flower in Alaska. Now that's cold.Â
 I, personally, planted a Black Gamecock near my back door in somewhat alkaline soil and completely forgot to take care of it her in New Mexico at an altitude of 7, 300 ft. It grew for many years though it never bloomed. I am convinced it would have done much better if I had just bothered to feed and water it.Â
ÂÂÂÂ You may find that LA's do better for you than you expected.
Betty