Re: borer?

From: "Chris Hollinshead" <cris@netcom.ca>

The folks here that are interested in iris borer and the control of this
iris pest may wish to visit the following CIS website page that discusses
the borer and various controls in some detail.
The direct internet URL is:
http://tor-pw1.netcom.ca/~cris/CIS/borer.html

Although the October cleanup that Dennis mentions goes a long way to
controlling the borer, at that time of year in his climate the borer moth
has long finished laying its eggs which overwinter on garden debris
surrounding the iris. You will not likely get them all with an autumn
clean-up and an application program of cygon in the early spring is
necessary to deal with the ones you will miss. This combination will
effectively break the borer life cycle. The following year should see only a
marginal infestation with just an autumn garden cleanup.

Have fun... find those borers... either in the plant or if not still in the
plant look for the now shiny chestnut brown colored borer pupae in the
nearby soil... before it turns into a many egg laying moth!

Your affected iris should all grow again and flourish after replanting as
long as you have gotten rid of the borer that was destroying the rhizome!

Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b (borer country...)
AIS(Region 16), CIS, SSI
Director-Canadian Iris Society
Newsletter Editor-Canadian Iris Society
E-mail:  cris@netcom.ca <mailto:cris@netcom.ca>
CIS website:  http://www.netcom.ca/~cris/CIS.html
Siberian-Species Convention 2003 website:
http://www.netcom.ca/~cris/sib2003.html

How many communities do you think join ONElist each week?
http://www.onelist.com
More than 5,000!  Create yours now!