Re: Re: What kind of plicata markings on this Sdlg?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: What kind of plicata markings on this Sdlg?
  • From: Cathy <kittencampi@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 10:08:18 -0800

A simple question....Not!

We certainly received a lot of very helpful information about this seedling both on and off list. I am going to add some detail, summarize some of the comments and add my current thinking about it.

Not a Plicata!

The DOUBLE AGENT X VARGA GIRL seedling opens with pale lavender standards and a heavy lavender flush along the midline of the falls. The lavender fades as the _expression_ of carotinoid pigments strengthens. The carotinoid pigments are concentrated along the veining and in a ring pattern toward the edge of the falls. The umbrata effect is restricted to a band  between the ring pattern and a very thin edge of carotinoid pigmentation. This gives us the double banded appearance.

The overall effect can occur from plicata X non-Plicata crosses. Some suggestions for further understanding include AMBER AMULET, DOUBLE BILLING,PIONEER WOMAN and the early works of Austin Morgan.

Thank you's should have gone first but after all the award shows I didn't want to be boring right away. Thanks to the many who helped turn a stupid questions into an educational experience.

Don't ask  Don't learn

Michael Michaeli and Cathy Campi, Stockton Ca.

irischap wrote:
I don't see this as a plicata .

It seems to be a combination of the type like Easter Time ( yellow rim
on white falls) combined with Umbrata pattern ( anthocyanin  with
absence of anthocyanin at edge). Anthocyanin not too intense in this case.

Chuck Chapman

Zone 4, Guelph Ontario Canada

Yahoo! Groups Links