CULT: Borer photos

  • Subject: [iris-photos] CULT: Borer photos
  • From: adambo_iris@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 10:10:51 -0500

Title: Kodak HTML Email

I don't know how these photos are going to turn out. . . super huge or not. But for those of you out west (I hear you don't have borers) here is what the nasty iris borer looks like.

Has anyone had a stalk fall over because a borer has "bored" up it? This picture was taken last July, 2003. The stalk fell over in the garden, and when I inspected it, I discovered the rotten-ness at the base. When I picked up the stalk, it was acually HOLLOW inside. . . I could squeeze it with my fingers.

As for the borer, I could have fed him to my chickens. . . but I decided to let my brother have some fun. We torched him. >:-) It was the least I could do to say "Hey! thanks for eating up my irises!". (Besides the fact that it was a clean death, it made me feel better, too.)

Awaiting spring in Michigan, and hoping that this year burning the iris leaves and rubbish in the garden will acually destroy the borer eggs as I have been told.

Adam Cordes
Region 6, Zone 4 1/2

Organize, print and share your digital photos.
Click here to get the software.

How to save a picture
Simply right click on it and select "save image as." MAC users, click and drag the image to your desktop.

Copyright © Eastman Kodak Company, 2003