Re: A Newbie Says Hi !

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] A Newbie Says Hi !
  • From: jjnettles <jjnettles@comporium.net>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 14:33:51 -0500

Welcome O.C.!

Glad you?re well and back at it.  I myself am living in NJ, but from Pickens, SC originally.  I still bring my Daddy a bunch of iris rhizomes once a year to plant in his garden in Pickens.

My mother was born and raised in Easley, S.C> and until she passed away a numbrr ogf years back, I used to take her the "Georgia's Creek Baptist Church Cemetery to see the graves of people shehad outloived. She was only 5' tall, weighed at her death 75 pounds and was a dynamo. The week she died that spring she was out in her "flowers" as dad called themon her hands and knees, both of which had been repalced, pulling weeds. I almost had a heart-attack when I saw her. Her ansewer, "THAT'S WHAT KEEPS ME GOOING"...THAT AT 92. GUESS THAT IS WHERE I GET MY SURVIVAL GENES FROM. And my love of flowers.

You?d be surprised how much red clay we have in NJ too?so I have borers.  If you have any recommendations on how to get rid of these, I happy to know about it.

 Actually York country actually is loaded with "Black Jack Clay" Soggy in winter, brick hard in summer. I have now finished raising all my beds. Found out however that my Daylilies do exceptionally well in it.

As for borers, Momma always used Moth Balls. She had the Red Clay. She never complained about borers. (Probably wouldn't have known one if she saw it. But when she died she sure left some georgous one to me and the frandchildren

Hope this helps....

The Old Coot

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Groups Links