Re: PHOTO: Arilbred iris have to be tough here

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] PHOTO: Arilbred iris have to be tough here
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:38:34 EST

In a message dated 3/10/2004 12:44:35 AM Central Standard Time, Elmsterj@aol.com writes:

In summer, they tolerate temperatures to 105+.

Last year in highly similar soils I planted 16 generally mature arilbred rhizomes and and 20 generally mature TB rhizomes at the same time of year.

Two of the arilbreds died the remaining have increased as good or better than the TB's. None of the TB's died. Arilbred death rate 13%. TB rate 0%.

Later in the year but well within a time frame that would allow the setting of a root system I planted an additional 21 TB juvinile rhizomes into the the TB bed. Five died. Death Rate 23%.

I too experience your high temps but do not often receive a snow cover.

The overall death rate for all first year plantings of  mature tall bearded iris arrivals planted here varies between 15 and 20%.

For now, my perception is that arilbred performance and plant requirements are little different from TB's, if different at all. Successful transplanting of both TB's and arilbreds is more dependent on the maturity level of the rhizome relative to the conditions incountered following planting than the aril content of the cultivar.

Bill Burleson

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Groups Links