Re: TB:Good Looking showing fall width

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB:Good Looking showing fall width
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:04:44 EST

In a message dated 3/14/2004 6:13:47 AM Central Standard Time, Autmirislvr@aol.com writes:

I was in my 'Big Dig.'  Were they all the same?

Some were the same. Some were not.

Recapping, an entire bed was dug that initially had contained over a 100 different cultivars listed on the bed map of a friend who was downsizing her iris collection. She had a good eye for irises, spared little expense in their acquisition, but had to downsize because of declining ability to maintain the large collection. Most of the irises were of recent introduction dates. Some cultivars on the map had not survived. Generally speaking though, people who requested the full package received one of every variety that still survived in that neglected bed. Those requests were filled first. In the occasional instances a variety was depleted before completion of similar full bed requests, additional rhizomes were substituted from the included varieties list.

As varieties were eliminated by the filling of requests, the size of the packages offered were reduced, first to 40 varieties in a package, then to 20 varieties. Not all of the 40 or 20 rhizome packages were exactly the same.

It is likely that as this lady continues to downsize additional "Big Dig" offers will be made as other beds are eliminated in a similar manner. Probably in May following our bloom season and again in August. I do not know exactly how the "Big Dig '04" package sizes will be determined or their prices. I only know they will be fun and a bargain opportunity to evaluate irises first hand.

Bill Burleson

Yahoo! Groups Links