Re: Re: Red on red

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Red on red
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:26:01 -0500

Thanks, Neil.  A lilting phrase, that "sweet harmony".  Might be the makings of a name there.
I had to hustle out unshaven into the near-freezing temps this morning to accompany the workmen delivering topsoil to bolster my winter-heaved seedlings.  I really do detest mild winters here.  I have replanted those that were tossed completely out of the ground, so there'll be no bloom from them this year.  About 400 others are "standing on their roots", so I'm having to build up the soil around them.  Assuming they survive, those that bloom will have to be staked.  Four miles away, in my home gardens, only two rhizomes out of more than a thousand clumps were heaved.  Earlier this past winter, I advised one of our list members to use coat hangers to anchor her plants against heaving.  I hope it worked for her.  It works in my home gardens, but it was useless in the seedling beds.  It has to be a difference in soils, so I've added 2 tons of sand to the new 20' x 30' seedling plot I'm preparing for this year.  --  Griff
zone 7 in Virginia