RE: HYB: Pink Inhibitor (was pink sdlng)

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] HYB: Pink Inhibitor (was pink sdlng)
  • From: arilbredbreeder@cs.com
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:28:00 -0500

"Cordesview" <cordesview@m33access.com> wrote:

>Sharon,
>
>This part/lurker new hybridizer appreciates your input on the Pink side of
>things!    Are there any other colors that react this way?  I still have a
>tricky time thinking in "water" colors vs. "oil" colors, and how they either
>mix together, or cover each other.
>
>Will cross post this e-mail to Iris Talk as well, to get it off the Photos
>list.
>
>Adam~

Well....  I've rarely been accused of oversimplifying things, but I'll give
it my best shot this time.  The inhibitor simply represses the expression of
the red-violet to blue-violet pigments.  The result csn be anything from
clean white thru ivory and pale yellow to deep orange -- as well as flamingo
pink.  This inhibitor is dominant, so if you cross two such cultivars it is
always possible that neither parent will pass on the inhibitor and the violet
pigments will reappear in the offspring.

Please feel free to take this discussion off-list, using smciris@aol.com.

Sharon McAllister