Re: Yes, I'll take your rain

  • Subject: Re: Yes, I'll take your rain
  • From: "David Ferguson" <manzano57@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 23:44:51 -0600
  • Seal-send-time: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 23:44:51 -0600

Hi Linda,

I don't remember where you live, but I might know which zone you are in if you refresh my memory.

The Zones are based on the average of the yearly minimum temperatures.  In other words, they take the single coldest temperature for every year and average them.  It can get much lower than the temperature listed for a zone almost anywhere inland, but generally plants that are "hardy" in a given zone can handle lower temperatures at least briefly.  It should also be remembered that just because a plant is rated to (for example) -30F, it doesn't mean that it will be hardy in the zone that is based on the -30 to -40 degree range (remember that is the average of the lows and probably much higher than the real possible minimum).  It will probably be reliably hardy in one or two zones warmer.

As for Heat Zone maps, yes there is an equivalent map for heat zones, and I believe it is figured differently (if I remember correctly it is number of days reaching above 85 F).  I don't know a link to find it off-hand, but it is readily available on line, and is in many newer garden books and sales catalogs.  Just do a Google search for "Heat-Zones" or "Heat-Zone map" and you should get lots of hits.

Dave