Re: AB: yesterday's bloom

  • Subject: Re: AB: yesterday's bloom
  • From: Carolyn Melf <irispring@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 05:06:17 -0700 (PDT)

how many buds?

Donald Eaves <donald@eastland.net> wrote:

Better color without adjustment, but still too blue. Withstood the 35mph
wind well. Still blowing as you can see in the photo. Lots of buds coming
along now on the iris. Seedlings from last year are going to approach 100%
on those that grew, but a number of bloom fans got ruined by a freeze.
Still a remarkable effort on one year seedlings and I am going to see many
of them if nothing happens. Buds showing on a lot more seedlings from
previous years where I haven't seen bloom too. Finally. A number of things
acquired that are new to me as well and that's always nice. Mostly AB buds
out of the fans, but TBs are bulging in places. Lots of variation in the
stages in the various beds. All the stress from last summer and the
difference of the growing conditions is showing up now on how quick they're
trying to bloom. None of medians show anything yet. I believe I'm going to
have more overlap among the types than is usual, so maybe the tweezers will
have a chance to work at making some crosses where there usually isn't an
opportunity due to the timing of the blooms.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Top Scientist

10 Greatest Ever