Multiple copies of email

  • Subject: Multiple copies of email
  • From: "KatMiniMaker" <katminimaker@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 02:38:24 -0500

Yahoo was doing an upgrade which was intended to improve the speed of email delivery.  The upgrade had a nasty side effect.  Some groups experienced duplicate deliveries of emails.  Not every group experience it or to the same degree.  I own some Yahoo groups and saw as few as 6 copies and as many as 24 copies.  Yahoo pushed through a patch to the upgrade late Wednesday night or wee hours of Thursday depending on your time zone.  This patch was designed to stop the duplicates.  You may continue to get duplicates until anything sent through your ISP server finishes clearing out.  Some people who may have had Outlook or another email program closed for a few days aren’t aware of this and will discover it the next time they open their email.

Each time someone posted to a list inquiring about the duplicates snowballed causing the inquiry and subsequent replies to become a blizzard.  Some group owners completely stopped members from being able to post anything at all while others simply moderated all posts to delete duplicates.

The following is what Yahoo sent to group owners:

We sincerely apologize for the mail delivery bug that caused many group members to receive multiple copies of group mail. This bug was introduced when we were working to increase mail delivery speed (one of our biggest user requests).

We pushed a fix at midnight March 29 (Pacific Time), but unfortunately at that point a backlog of mail was still being delivered. We're confident that the bug is fixed on our end— however some ISPs may still be delivering backlogged mail to some users. We're monitoring your comments and appreciate you letting us know your group's status on the Groups Team Blog: http://blog.360.yahoo.com/y_groups_team

The Groups product team has also posted a response to user feedback regarding IFrames and group description in the latest blog entry.

We appreciate your patience and again we're very sorry for the inconvenience.

-- The Yahoo! Groups Team

If you want to follow what Yahoo is doing for and to groups and be able to post your response there, check out the 360 blog address above.  It is for anyone to follow, not just group owners.

Kathy