Re: Re: HYB: Indoors - Iris variegata X suaveolens var. rubromarginata
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: Indoors - Iris variegata X suaveolens var. rubromarginata
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 05:38:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Loïc,
Actually the mellita I used for CLOWN PANTS was a clone I had bought from Terry Varner's Ohio Gardens even more years back than the yellow one in the picture. Both of the ones in the picture had just arrived from Arrowhead Alpines Nursery. CLOWN PANTS' father had the rusty reddish-purple flower color and delicate foliage and flowers just like the rubromarginata in that picture. The only distinguishing difference would have been the red leaf margins. The mellita in the picture aside from being yellow, is also different in how substantial looking the foliage is. The father of CLOWN PANTS didn't have such broad leaves.

I originally had kind of hoped that these two variegata X rubromarginata seedlings would look like CLOWN PANTS as a confirmation or proof that CLOWN PANTS' parentage is correct. But now I'm glad that they're looking like they do. And there are still two more seedlings, one of which looks very different in growth habit. Unlike the two that have bloomed, one is much more tall and doesn't have any increase yet. Maybe this one will look more like CLOWN PANTS. One thing I have found from my experiences with species crosses, is that you shouldn't expect the F1 to be uniform. I've seen a surprising amount of variation in appearance among F1. I guess this makes sense, considering the outbreeding nature of irises.
Best wishes, Tom

By the way, you're not alone in having difficulty keeping mellita (or rubromarginata) alive. I've already killed two mellitas and one rubromarginata so far. I just reordered another mellita from Arrowhead Alpines so that I can try to get some more F1 hybrids from it. Thankfully, the hybrids are infinitely more easy to keep alive!

From: "loic tasquier"
So, if i get it right, from the second picture with the 2 suaveolans, the yellow one (mellita) is Clown Pant's father, and the purple one (rubromarginata) is your cute purple seedling's father.

is that right?

Here i has a Mellita once, but it didn't resist the winter. Clown Pants is much tougher, it's still here!

Loïc