HYB: germination (was Loic's seedlings)
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: HYB: germination (was Loic's seedlings)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:52:20 -0400

I can hardly wait to see the third generation here too! A few last
fall, another bunch should bloom this spring.

Most (all?) germination here is probably long over. The biggest
seedlings in these photos are from the first and second wave of
refrigerated burritos, the smaller ones are a few third wave from 2009
seeds, but mostly from 2008 seeds left outdoors till January, then
brought into the sun porch for germination. The ones with leaves on
them are 2007 (last chance!), 2008, and 2009 still ungerminated seeds.
Probably a very few more will come up in the next few weeks. Probably
none from 2007 seeds, but might be several from any remaining IMM
crosses from 2008.

In the photo of the older babies, the three pots with big white labels
are new introductions this spring from Tempo Two.

The seedling with the arrow in the younger group is a monster - IMM X
RED ROCK CANYON. No idea why this one is so much bigger than all the
others. Octaploid! ;-)

As you can see from the small number of pots from 2009 seeds, last year
was nearly a total flop for hybridizing (freezes & rain). At least all
these babies should be strong. I hope to get the oldest ones lined out
next week.

> Thanks for telling me the ones you like best, of course you have noticed the rebloom genes...!
> And it is going to get even better with the C generation that should start to get into the registration plan next year!
>
> I just can't wait for the 2nd bloom of this 3rd generation, as well of the first bloom of some of the D generation!
>
> The E generation has 56 pots with a beginning of germinations, it is absolutely a kick, twice a day, to look for the tiny green shoots coming out of the grit on top of the pots!
>
> Do you have germinations too?
>
> Loïc

JPEG image

JPEG image