Re: Re: AB: bloomout sdlg
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Re: AB: bloomout sdlg
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 07:21:52 -0400 (EDT)

If trying it , I would do it as soon as I could. Before flower bud was
too far along. the idea is to get plant to put energy into increases.

What seems to happen with bloomout has to do with when bud set occurs
the previous season. *If minimum temperatures at night are too warm
(or too cold) then bud set does not occur. When bud set occurs, the
increases are no longer suppressed by the main growth point (growing
tip, called apical meristem), and the increase start to grow.

If this doesn't occur, then conversion of apical meristem to flower
production occurs with vernalization. But with spring growth plant
starts producing energy for flower growth, and no plant energy towards
growth of increases. And when finishing flowering, no energy left for
the increases.

So ideas is to get plant energy to go to increases. Thus removing
flower stem. If you can remove flowering growth tip, while leaving
leaves, that would be best.

Chuck Chapman