ADMIN: Virus Warning

Guys and gals, there is a new virus in town.

This one is more difficult to detect because is changes the Subject line
each time it forwards itself. It does appear, however, that the Subject
Line will always start with "FW:" (meaning Forwarded). If you get a
message like this do not open the attachment. (You should *NEVER* open
any attachment that you are not expecting. *ANYTIME* you get an
unanticipated attachment - even from your husband, wife, brother etc.,
email them back and ask them if they intended to send you something

*If* I interpret the information correctly, this virus affects only PCs
and only those using Microsoft Outlook. Those using Netscape Navigator
or Eudora, or any Macintosh, are not affected. Unix platforms are also
not affected.

See below for more information from icsa:

The NewLove.A Worm spreads by users double clicking on file attachments
in Outlook Email clients. Once the user double clicks, the worm
replicates by sending itself to all members of the Outlook address book.
The subject line is different for each infection and is created by the
worm looking to the recently created file list on the users machine and
creating a subject line that is [FW: recent file name]

For example if the user had created a budget spread sheet file in excel
recently called Q3Budget.xls, the subject line of the message would be
similar to: FW:Q3Budget. The attachment in the message will be called
However, depending upon the actual length of the file name and
configuration of the desktop, either the VBS extension or the end of the
file name including the VBS extension or both may not show up on the
users attachment icon.

Once a user double clicks on the attachment, the FW: message with the
attached worm is sent to all members of the users Outlook address book.
Immediately after successful email distribution, the worm attempts to
destroy all files on the local and shared drives.
For complete information go to:

If you have any comments on this virus or any additional information,
please email me privately.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:

President, Westbay Iris Society
Director, Region 14 of the AIS

Subscribe to iris-talk at:

Subscribe to iris-photos at:

The world's largest musician community, with over 50,000 gear
reviews and over 15,000 pages of content, is a click away.