[PHOTO] trying to identify seedling | Sun, 6 May 2001 22:25:07" />

[PHOTO] trying to identify seedling

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] trying to identify seedling
  • From: Kenneth Walker <kenww@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 20:22:18 -0700

This year an iris I grew from seed, that according to my label
is supposed to be I. tridentata, has bloomed. However,
the large standards rule out that plant. I'm attaching a picture.

The flower is rather small and the plant has very narrow leaves. The
leaves pretty much rule out I. versicolor or I. virginica. The plant
forms a dense clump and the flower stem is perfectly straight. That
seems to eliminate I. prismatica. As near as I can guess it is a siberian.
It has purple stamens, so it could be I. sanguinea.

Does anyone else have an opinion?

   Ken Walker
   Concord, CA USA
   USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 14