Re: SPECIES: Unknown (was Oyez)

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] SPECIES: Unknown (was Oyez)
  • From: "Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 06:23:25 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eleanor Cecchini" <eleanore@mb.sympatico.ca>

> about 3 to 4" tall and the flowers lasted through a bad thunderstorm last
> night.
> Here's a close up picture.  Sorry, it's yet another unknown, Laetitia...

Anyone catch the similarity to the photos of I. sabina in the new SIGNA

The example the article cites is probably the one growing in a pot at around
10" but says that irises growing in the wild resemble MDBs. Since we're
talking about species here as well, there's also some variation naturally.

Snow white beard tipped yellow deep in the throat. Standards bright
red-purple. Falls similar but overlaid iridescent black. Pollen is white.
Blooms at the same time as the TBs.

Christy Hensler
(If you haven't joined SIGNA yet, you're missing out. Fantastic articles and