Re: Another Mystery Iris?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Another Mystery Iris?
  • From: "brice rose" <iris@syix.com>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:40:26 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Cheryl Leigh Chamberlin <clc@cherylleigh.com>
To: <iris-photos@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2001 8:20 AM
Subject: [iris-photos] Another Mystery Iris?

> This iris bloomed for the first time today and I think it is one of the
> following:
> Caliente- deep wine red, bright gold beard, very vigorous, tall
> Spanish Leather- rose/copper/henna/maroon blend, gold on hafts, gold brds
> Spiced Honey- cinnamon bronze, some blue on falls, yellow/orange beards
> Struttin' High- orange brown, big orange red beards, large flowers
> It seems closest to Struttin' High but even though the photo looks more
> than the actual flower, there is a rosy tint to it that doesn't seem
> brown" to me at all!
> I think I need a better list of descriptions or better vision- well that's
> given. Meanwhile can someone who has seen these cultivars rule any out?<G>
> It's cloudy here today. I can't wait to see how this looks in the sun.
> Cheryl Leigh
>   Hi, Cherly,  I grow two out of the four that you mentioned.  It is not
Calinte, sorry if my spelling is off, It is a deep maroonish/ brownish
redaand very talyored flowers. I also grow Struttin High. If you have a
Schrieners catalog from 2000 take and look and you will see why I don't
think it is that one.  You did not mention Mulled Wine but Mr. Peters did. I
do not think that it is that either. My Mulled Wine has more compact rounded
flowers and there are several other things that make me think it is not M.W.
M.W. Is a Keith Kepple iris and still very much a favorite of mine. I hope
this helps. Remember one should not guess at a name just to feel like they
were able to give it one. Enjoy it for what it is and that is a very pretty
iris. Brice Rose from a very HOT Ca.