Re: Storing rhizomes?

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Storing rhizomes?
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 06:18:11 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., "Harold Peters" <harold@d...> wrote:
> "Mud in" means make the planting area a sea of mud then
press/wiggle the rhizome in to the correct depth.
> This gets great soil to rhizome contact>

As the last step in planting anything, my grandfather always stepped
on the soil by the plant and put his weight on that foot.  He made
sure of contact.  I've never forgotten his lesson--and do this to
this day.

Problem is, on clay soils it's possible to get the soil a bit TOO
firm.  The method works best on clay soils if they're friable and
fairly rich in organics.

Neil Mogensen  zone 6b/7a in western NC