Re: dwarf iris

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: dwarf iris
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@netscape.net>
  • Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 12:45:57 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., "Pearl Doyle" <doyle@o...> wrote:
> This looks like Iris setosa, a species iris. If very short ( 8-12")
> it could be Iris  setosa Canadensis, the Canadian subspecies.
> Thanks Chuck, yes these are very short and grow from bulbs much
like dutch iris do. I really didn't know what they are. I think they
came as a free gift when I bought something else. They come up every
year and I always wonder what they are until they bloom.

On second thought and after relooking at the photos I would have to
take back what I said. The standards are too large for setosa. There
is some resemblence to dwarf siberian but another possibility is
Sibtosa, a cross between setosa and siberian. Some further
information could help with identification.

1)Seed pods and seeds. Versicolour will hang, setosa and siberian are
upright. If no seeds then very likely Sibtosa. Differences in seed

2)Leaves, thickness, presence or absence of water plant webbing. The
best way to tell this is to comparae with leaves of versicolor and
pseudacorous (which have webbing) versus spuria and siberian that
don't. Spuria leaves are usually very wide and very stiff.

3)Root system- size and shape of rhizomes and how they increase.

4) Wetness tolerence. Versicolour, siberian and setosa have a high
tolerence of moisture, spuria don't. They all will grow in very dry

You do have a puzzle here.

Chuck Chapman, Guelph, Ontario.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.