Re: RE: SPEC: I. stolonifera

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] RE: SPEC: I. stolonifera
  • From: "Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 06:47:12 -0700

Stolonifera is a full-blooded aril (regelia actually).

It seems to be a bit more forgiving of overwatering that I'd suspect the
oncos to be. (I'm just getting started with most of these types.) Winter
closes in quickly on our area so when irises arrive late in the season, I
plan on keeping them as a houseplant over the winter and planting out in the
spring. I have a tendency to overwater any houseplant so I planned ahead and
potted them using cactus mix.

The spot they'll be going into in the garden is a raised bed with less than
great soil in full sun. Drainage is a bit too fast for anything but
columbines, Oriental poppies, daylilies, and sedums so they should like it.

I've found the best bet for finding out whether any species will grow in an
area is to try it. Most books seem to err on the side of caution but most of
the irises I've grown are more adaptable than you'd all imagine. :-)

Skip & Christy Hensler
Newport, WA

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!