Re: Iris in full shade

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Iris in full shade
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 01:05:12 EDT

Nice big show with Lacy Snowflake. I too have some older unidentified iris.
I collected   one while riding horses from a long abandoned house forested
over by 40 year old timber (full shade). I called myself rescuing it. My son
riding with me called it stealing. It still grows here. If I had a horse now
I'd ride back and see if it's still growing there. I could tell if me or my
son was right. Anyone got a horse?

The older iris I grow are more adaptable than some of the later
introductions. That may be due to the sources from which I obtained the
oldies, the natural selection process, their closeness genetically to the
species etc. Probably some of all. Sun, shade, insects, crowding, mulch,
neglect, rot are not much of a problem for them. I would not, however, trade
away the more modern blooms to rid myself of these miseries. I think I'll
just try having my cake and eatin' all I can hold.

Smiles,
Bill 7a/b
Old South Iris Society

Your opinion is very important to us!