TB: response to questions about P1-13

  • Subject: [iris-photos] TB: response to questions about P1-13
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 18:47:51 -0400

John Jones and others have asked about the stalk and such on the seedling P1-13 from Swingtown X Romantic Evening.

I am less that entirely satisfied with the individual stalks of this seedling.  The branching varies from one to two branches, no spur, with three buds in the terminal and also in the terminal of the lower branch which originates about midway up the main stalk.  The lesser branch, which in some cases is present alone, has two.  The over-all bud count varies from five to eight in the stalks I've counted.  The third, middle bud is initially overlooked as it is tiny still when the first terminal opens.

Compensating factors lie the growth habits.  Increase numbers typically several.  Of these, one or two will often bloom in their year after appearance, giving a one-year plant two to three bloomstalks with two to three increases remaining.  These secondary stalks allow P1-13 to make a thoroughly satisfactory garden presentation even if our problematic winters kill the primary central stalk, which happens considerably less frequently than with most TB's here.

The buds do not toe in.  They set at just the right angle outward to my taste.  The blooms emerge in stately succession, rarely crowding, but never making "show stalk" presentations.  The bloom season extends from one of the first TB's to bloom to past mid-season, usually more than two weeks of display.

The clump visible in the photo is a two year old plant.

The standards relax ever so slightly outward on the second day, parting just enough to give a glimpse of the colorful style arms.  It is also both pod and pollen fertile and has a spicy fragrance that varies in intensity with weather and temperature.

The photo gives a very slightly warmer or redder cast to the bloom than the garden appearance, but is far closer than I have been able to obtain photographically before.  This was shot with a digital Nikon Coolpix 5000 which has an auto color balance feature I have not yet tried to turn off.  Most violet iris photograph too blue.  This is the first I've had slip slightly to the red.  I'm not adept enough yet with the tools I have to tinker with chroma, balance and such.

As to naming and introduction, I am hesitant.  The sister seedling, of which a photo will hopefully show up on Iris-photos in a couple days, weather permitting, has more of the coppery infusion, and I've dubbed it "Cranberry Copper" for the garden name.  It's introduction is more likely than this ones.  I am at a loss on whether to put this one out, as I'd like my babies to have Silverado or even Jersey Bounce branching and bud counts.  Alas, this one doesn't.  Still, it adds up to a delightful and pleasing garden subject that demands attention.  I'd like to know how it performs in climates different than this as well before casting it out to take its kudos or lumps, whichever comes its way.

This may be more answer to the questions placed than asked for.

Neil Mogensen  z6b/7a near Asheville/Hendersonville, NC

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor