[PHOTO] HYB: What to do with a seedling | Fri, 2 May 2003 16:45:29" />

[PHOTO] HYB: What to do with a seedling

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB: What to do with a seedling
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 14:43:21 -0700

The best new seedling to bloom for me this season is a white, Pond Lily X Cloudia.  What a combination to produce a white!  It has all the characteristics I require of a seedling, good branching, perfect conformation, ruffling, good substance, eight flowers, and a healthy first year clump.  It was pretty.  I like it.  Still it is just another white, though, when fresh, the blossoms have lavender tint.  Does the world need another white?

My personal philosophy when I get a seedling that I love is to keep it till I get a better one.  This one produced bee pods on over half its flowers, proving that it is very pod fertile. I will breed it with pinks in the hope that someday it will produce those characteristics in a pink, which is my goal.

If in future years it doesn’t measure up to its first promise, I may by that time have a better one, and I won’t feel bad about destroying it.  I am already embarrassed by some that I lined out last year.  I won’t feel bad about replacing them.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

JPEG image