[PHOTO] for Christopher Darlington | Mon, 5 May 2003 21:04:54" />

[PHOTO] for Christopher Darlington

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] for Christopher Darlington
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 21:03:58 -0500

Here's a TB X AB.  Will that do?  I haven't had much luck getting AB X TB
pods.  These types are the step-childred of the iris world.  Instead of
mixing their genes up, they are put together like building blocks.  In an OB
or OGB they meet halfway, but here it's a 3/1 ratio.  So they don't fit with
the TBs since their bud count, branching etc. are limited by the aril genes.
Because of the higher quotient of TB genes, they don't have enough of the
aril appearance to satisfy most arilbred and aril aficionados.  For
hybridizers, they are relatively infertile.  That they ever set seeds at all
is almost miraculous.  I like them, though.  My expectations are that they
will be only what they are made of, no more.  I also want them to use as
parents with arilbreds of higher aril content.  They will set seeds
sometimes, after all.  That I can attest to.  I want plants that bloom
somewhat later (my three late freezes reinforced that this year!).  I would
also like them to be somewhat less capricious in their habits.  These seem a
potential route so I'm willing to work with the lower aril content and take
the few plants I can get from those willing to be parents.  They're fun too.
So far the children have displayed a pronounced tendency to not look like
EITHER parent.  The one shown here did favor its siblings that bloomed this
year, but not the parents.  True of the plant as well as the bloom.  I liked
this one best of the four from the cross that bloomed because I found it the
most interesting.  The color around the beards looked like it was smudged
with charcoal.  You had to get your face close to the bloom to see that it
was really purple.  A sibling set two pods via an OGB pollen parent, but
this one did not.  It may never do so, but I can try.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Rent DVDs from home.